When traveling, or if you live alone, the problem of hard water can still be present. Hard water is any water with high mineral content, especially calcium and magnesium. They present a lot of problems which all boil down to the buildup of limescale and soap scum. If you don’t want to buy an expensive and large water softening system, there are portable water softeners you can buy.
What is a Portable Water Softener?
Portable water softeners are also known as an RV water softener. This is basically the usual water softener installed in your home to remove hardness in water and provide your family with soft, healthy and clean water. The only difference is that this one is portable.
Portable water softeners come in small sizes, but they have the capacity to soften water just as much as the bulky water softeners that you install in your home. They can be carried anywhere and anytime, and you can especially use a portable water softener when travelling.
Advantages of Using Portable Water Softeners
- Portable water softeners provide you with water that is safe, healthy and clean for drinking. Although hard water is not specifically dangerous to the health when it comes to drinking, there are some minerals present which can do you harm. Sometimes, your old water might taste unpleasant, and water softeners would also get rid of any tastes or odor that might be in the water. Also, if you are travelling and aren’t sure about the water in that area, the portable water softener is the best option, especially on the road.
- They also provide you with water that you can use to wash your hair and body. Hard water causes dry and irritated skin, and it can cause your hair to start thinning. It also causes dry, and sometimes colored, hair. And so, using soft water provided by a portable water softener would be very beneficial. Hard water also doesn’t mix well with soap, leading to very small lather when washing. This would lead to using a lot of soap during washing, and this can lead to the buildup of soap scum on whatever it is that you washed. Using a portable water softener would prevent this scenario,
- Portable water softeners are compact and can be carried anywhere you go. Their designs are lightweights, and you can take them around when travelling. Also, if you live in an RV or you are on the road a lot, a portable water softener would be the best way to protect yourself from hard water.
- When you use portable water softeners, the soft water that it produces does not harm or reduce the lifespan of your appliances like hard water does. It also protects your pipes from getting clogged or blocked with limescale. If you are on an RV or boat, the soft water from a portable water softener would increase the lifespan of these appliances.
- They also prevent buildup of limescale and soap scum which can clog pipes, drainages and deface household appliances and utensils.
Using Portable Water Softeners
The unique thing about portable water softeners is their size, and the fact that they can be carried along during travels. Take note that portable water softeners work best when used personally and not commercially. In the case of commercial or residential uses, one can buy the standard water softening system. There are different uses of portable water softeners.
Firstly, when it comes to washing cars, portable water softeners have your back. When you use hard water to wash your car, you could end up with buildup of limescale and minerals. This is not the case with soft water, and so you can prevent damages or defacing on your car. Some of these portable water softeners can be installed in the middle of the garden hose and the spray nozzle.
Secondly, for car enthusiasts and marines who are constantly on the go, portable water softeners can be used to provide hard water while they are on the road. There are many units and brands that would meet with your requirements, as long as you are ready to enjoy soft water.
One great feature of some portable water softeners is the fact that they have ideal purification abilities. The water is softened and filtered, making it ideal for drinking, whether it was hard before or not.
When Do I Need a Portable Water Softener?
- If you are travelling, especially if the trip would last for more than three days, then you would not be satisfied with using hard water. If it’s just a two or three-day trip, then you wouldn’t really be bothered because the hard water cannot really affect the skin, health, appliances or clothes. If you would be going on a trip for more than three days, then the portable water softener is advisable.
- If you’re taking your car around a lot, or using it to travel, you can take your portable water softener. You could always strap it to the backseat of your car, or if you have company, place it in the boot of the car. If you aren’t traveling with your car, there is no point in bringing a portable water softener because there would nowhere to place it when you move around.
- If you’re planning on going camping, you definitely need a portable water softener. Apart from the fact that the portable water softener would help you soften whatever type of water is at the campsite, it can also act like a water supply.
- If you are staying in a place that doesn’t use a water softener system, then you should probably buy one. When travelling, you might not know if there is soft water provided at your destination, and so it is advisable to take a portable water softener.
- If you are living alone and you need a water softener for personal use, portable water softeners are ideal for your situation.
Portable water softeners are basically efficient and powerful water softening systems that are placed in a small space.